A vanity dressing table is an essential piece of furniture for any bedroom or dressing room. Choosing the right vanity table is key to creating your ideal grooming station as a functional and decorative addition to your space. This comprehensive guide will walk you through the key factors when shopping for your dream vanity.
What Is a Vanity Dressing Table?
A vanity dressing table sometimes called a vanity desk or dressing table, is a furniture piece designed for grooming and getting ready. The classic vanity table includes a large mirror attached to a dresser or tabletop workspace. It's designed to hold beauty products, accessories, a cushioned seat, and ample storage.
Vanity tables serve multiple purposes for your daily routine. They are ideal for applying makeup, styling your hair, organizing perfumes and jewelry, and adding elegant style to your bedroom. The right vanity table will provide the perfect morning and evening prep space.
Benefits of a Vanity Dressing Table
Investing in a vanity table offers many benefits beyond having a designated place to get beautiful. Here are some of the top reasons to consider adding one to your home:
- Convenient storage for cosmetics, skincare, hair products, and beauty tools in one place
- Large mirror for doing makeup, hair, and checking your look
- Comfortable seat for lengthy beauty routines
- Organization to reduce bathroom counter clutter
- Makes an elegant statement in your bedroom
- Provides ideal grooming height without bending over a bathroom counter
- Dedicated personal space just for your self-care and pampering
What to Think Before Buying a Vanity Table
Keep these key factors in mind when searching for your perfect vanity:
Size and Dimensions
Choosing a vanity table size and dimensions that will properly fit your space is one of the most important considerations. Measure the area of your bedroom or dressing room where you place the vanity first.
Standard vanity table sizes range between 50-60 inches wide and 20-34 inches deep. However, they can vary based on your room size and specific needs. Opt for a more compact vanity if you have limited space. Or size up for a spacious workspace to hold all your getting-ready essentials.
Make sure to leave a gap of at least 30 inches between your vanity and the opposite wall or furniture. This allows enough leg room to sit comfortably.
Storage and Organization
Having adequate and convenient storage is a top priority for your vanity table. After all, you'll need a place to stow away all those beauty products!
Look for vanities with drawers and compartments to organize makeup, skincare, hair products, styling tools, jewelry, perfumes, and more. The number and size of drawers can vary greatly, so decide how much storage space you need. Some tables offer a central drawer with two or three on each side. Others have a mix of large and small stacked drawers.
For optimal organization, opt for drawers over open shelving. It keeps items neatly hidden and dust-free. Deep drawers suit bigger bottles and tools. Shallow drawers work for smaller items.
Lockable drawers are great for keeping precious jewelry and other valuables secure. Some vanities include pull-out racks, side compartments, and inner storage bins for maximum organization.
Choosing a mirror that meets your grooming needs is essential.
The ideal vanity mirror is large enough to see your entire face and hair while seated. Rectangular mirrors around 16 inches tall or oval mirrors 24 inches wide are common vanity sizes.
Look for adjustable mirrors that you can tilt and turn to reduce glare and find the perfect angle. Lighted mirrors with LED bulbs around the edge are amazing for applying makeup and doing detailed work like tweezing.
Some modern tech-savvy vanities have mirrors with built-in Bluetooth, USB charging, and anti-fog features.
More choosing tips about mirror: How to Choose the Right Mirror Shape for Your Bathroom?
Vanity Chair or Stool
Your vanity table won't be complete without a comfortable place to perch while primping. The chair or stool should be sturdy and the ideal height for you.
Cushioned chairs tend to be more comfortable for extended use. Look for plush padding to make those morning makeup sessions enjoyable.
If opting for a stool, consider one with adjustable height for maximum versatility. Those with hydraulic lifts allow you to easily raise or lower the seat a few inches.
Measure the vanity's height and choose a chair or stool accordingly. Standard chair heights are around 18-24 inches. You want your seat to allow you to sit comfortably upright with your arms at an even level with the table.
Materials and Finish
Vanity tables come in various materials like wood, metal, glass, acrylic, and more. The material affects the look, durability, and price point.
- Wood - Most common vanity material with options like oak, teak, mahogany, walnut, and bamboo. Provides a classic elegance.
- Metal - Sleek option like stainless steel, copper, or brass. Modern and eye-catching.
- Glass - Transparent tempered or frosted glass tops feel lightweight and airy.
- Acrylic - Plastic acrylic provides a budget-friendly alternative to pricier materials.
The finish is also key for both form and function. Matte and satin finish nicely resist watermarks, fingerprints, and dust compared to high-gloss.
Look for vanities made with durable, high-quality materials that will last. Also, ensure the finish is easy to wipe clean after daily use.
Style and Design
Vanity tables come in an array of styles to match your decor. Choose based on the look you want and your room's overall aesthetic.
- Traditional - Ornately carved woodworking with cabriole legs and vintage details
- Contemporary - Clean, sleek lines and minimal ornamentation
- Modern - Unique shapes, unconventional materials like acrylic or metal
- Farmhouse - Rustic painted wood with an antiqued or weathered finish
- Hollywood Glam - Opulent details like velvet upholstered stool and crystal accents
Mirrored furniture can help brighten a dark space and create the illusion of a larger room. If your room needs lighting, a mirrored vanity is a perfect choice.
More info about vanity style: Single vs. Double Sink Vanities: Which Is Better?
Bonus Vanity Table Features
Beyond the basics, you can find vanity tables with bonus features to enhance functionality. Here are some to look for:
- Flip-up side shelves provide additional surface space as needed.
- Built-in electrical outlets or USB ports allow plugging in styling tools.
- Pendant lighting provides optimal illumination for makeup application.
- Pull-out trays or folding leaves offer a customizable workspace.
- Matching accessories like storage ottomans, jewelry boxes, and upholstered benches coordinate with your vanity.
A vanity dressing table is truly a multipurpose investment piece. Place it in your bedroom, walk-in closet, or dressing area to create a luxurious and functional beauty zone. Follow this complete guide to choose the perfect vanity suited for your space and lifestyle.
The right vanity table will provide specialized storage, ideal lighting, and a comfortable place to primp every morning. Keep these tips in mind while shopping to pick out your dream table. Before you know it, you'll have a beautiful new vanity that makes getting gorgeous each day a joy.